March 18, 2011

Cherry blossom, framed paper quilling art

Japanese cherry blossom, quilled picture

I was writing this post when the news came about the tragedy in Japan. Like many other's, my thoughts, heart and prayers are with the people of Japan. For those looking for ways to donate to support the disaster relief efforts, here are a few links:

About five months ago I was asked to create a large-size quilling picture featuring the Japanese flowering cherry — Sakura, and birds. I was able to find and buy a deep frame measuring 19 5/8 x 19 5/8 inch (50x50cm). This is my first work in such a large format. Before starting to work on actual quilling, I looked at tons of books and Web resources on Japanese art in search of inspiration. As this was a custom-tailored work for a client, I sent her a variety of sketches to choose from. She liked this one, but asked for red birds.

Japanese cherry blossom, sketch

After agreeing on a sketch, I could start quilling. First, I made a plenty of flowers with eccentric coils for the petals, using narrow pink strips, only 1/16"-wide (1.5mm).

Eccentric coils (quilling)

The flower centers were made of tiny fringed flowers with a pink base and yellow fringe. In the photo below, the grid lines are at the distance of 1cm apart.

Making fringed flowers (quilling) Fringed flower centers

Then I shaped the eccentric coils into "teardrops" and attached five petals to each flower center I have made. To add dimension to the flowers, I glued the petals at an angle. In order to do so, I used a circles template to hold the flowers until the glue has dried completely. You may put something underneath the template to place it even higher, to achieve the angle you want.

Quilled flowers in a circles template

Next, I outlined the tree branches on a square sheet of thick light-blue paper, and placed the flowers to see if I had enough of them. Then I made some half-open flowers out of three pink petals each, and also closed buds. The latter were created with three-dimensional quilling using pink and brown strips. For this quilling project I used the total of 44 completely open flowers, 14 half-open flowers and 8 closed buds, which means I had to make 262 eccentric coils :) I also made light-green leaves out of 1/16"-wide (1.5mm) paper strips.

Cherry blossom and a flying bird

To make the birds, I first drew them on a separate sheet of paper. Then I put the sketch onto a cork board covered with plastic wrap for assembling. For the birds I used 1/8"-wide (3mm) paper strips in different tints of red.

Quilled bird, flying

When the birds were ready, I started mounting them onto the picture. First, I glued onto the background the sitting bird on the far right. Then I began creating branches of the cherry tree by rolling "tendrils" around a long needle tool. For these I used 1/16"-wide strips (1.5mm) in tints of brown.

Quilled birds, sitting

When the branches were finished, I mounted all the buds, leaves, flowers, and the remaining two birds. The right-hand side of the picture looked too empty to me, so I decided to add also a bumble-bee.

Quilled bumble-bee

For this picture I used both home-cut and precut quilling strips. My husband helped me cut the matting. It has a beveled edge (at 45 degrees) which I dyed with golden acrylic paint.

Cherry flowers, detail

72 comments:

Crafterkhush said...

This is an absolute beauty.. I still have not been able to work out the eccentric coils.. They turn up to be something of a mess for em but yours are beautiful.. absolutely fab work.. love the flowers.. gorgeous..!!

WhiteRacoon said...

262 - вау =)
Классно! Особенно нравятся веточки, изгиб очень натуральный и витушки клевые =) Объемный хвостик у птички классный - очень живо. И полосатый мух тоже весьма живописен.
Здорово!

Baukje said...

Hi Inna
what did you do that well done great!
Greetings Baukje

chillin with Quillin said...

WOW Fantastic job, love it. Love how you did the branches, so smooth!
Paula

Лариса Литвиненко said...

Инночка, красиво, нет слов!!!!!!!!!!!! Можно рассматривать каждую детальку до бесконечности!!!!!!!!!! Спасибо за КРАСОТУ!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fairy Cardmaker, Lisa said...

This is stunning. I like how the tree branches look almost braided. Way cool.

Helen said...

OMG! Breath taking beauty!

zolushka said...

Инна, у тебя волшебные ручки, как иначе можно делать такую нежную, необыкновенную красоту!

Katrin said...

Восхитительно!!! Веточка как живая получилась! Цветочки легкие и воздушные! А птички... нет слов!!! Супер! Спасибо за МК. Собирать цветочек в линейке замечательная идея и очень полезная!!!

Unknown said...

ура! такая долгожданная новая работа! красота.... очень понравились цветы и ветки.

Andreea said...

Wow! This in great!
Congratulation for everything you do!

Pastila said...

Вот это да! Потрясающая работа! Веточки - загляденье!
Я бы фон какой-то добавила для большей реалистичности.

Artes de Nágela said...

This is really beautiful work. Congratulations!

Belinda said...

That is so beautiful and intricate. I'm yet to do a large piece but you have inspired me :)

Divya Deepak said...

Yay im goin to try this:-)

painted princess collection said...

Great idea and great tutorial thanks inna for sharing
www.anandhirajansartsncrafts.blogspot.com

SUGANTHI said...

Brilliant Inna! I love every detail of this work of yours . The idea for the branches is really good:))

Dr Sonia S V said...

Awesome. Thanks for showing how to make the pink flowers.
Sonia
http://cardsandschoolprojects.blogspot.com

Nandita SS said...

Hi Inna,

All I can say about your work is, It's Beautiful!!! Lovely :)

Саша девочка said...

Инна, оч тонко!!!! веточки, цветочки, пчелка - все оч нежно и изящно.

Anonymous said...

MAGNIFIQUE
FELICITATIONS

Hussena said...

Hi Inna
your work is so beautiful that actually i am at loss for words,the detailing and the amount of work involved is lovely ,totally love it.

Aarthi@Paperandme said...

Jus a few days back, while i was browsing the blogosphere i was wondering abt where have u been? no posts lately!! and here u come back with a bang.. so beautiful and it looks so pleasant.. i am looking forward to make a big frame work myself..

alice J said...

Incredible work. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Another fantastic creation from ur crafty Hand.Very nice work...

Lady Butterfly said...

This is amazing!!!!!

Unknown said...

Инна, привет!
Ну до чего же изящная работа!

Leanne said...

WOW! You are truly talented. Such a detailed , creation. Fabulous!!!

Nati said...

Wonderful, loved it ... love the birds and flowers
Nati(from Brazil)

Завитушка said...

Очень, очень, очень красиво!!! Птички бесподобны!!!

Custom Quilling Supplies said...

Amazing work of art!

Philippa said...

Absolutely beautiful - your work is always inspiring.

Anonymous said...

what a perfection! what a beauty! am a big fan of urs.. i had to make a flower for my son's class teacher.. so visited ur website.. and got ideas too.. keep up ur great work!!

divya kalyan said...

this was awesome inna

Anca said...

Oh... so many details, so much work, and so much beauty. And a tutorial too... You are so generous to share all the little secrets with us. I also did a Cherry Blossom work - a card, but I am definitely a beginner in comparation with you :)
http://myquillingplanet.blogspot.com/2011/02/start-vot.html

Rashmie said...

Ina, your quilling creations are just breath taking! I found your blog today and am totally glued to your posts - papier mache, recycling and so many more. I just subscribed to your blog.

I invite you to check out mine...

Cheers :)

Anastasiaw2008@gmail.com said...

Wow!! It is a master piece. Only you can creat such perfect Quillings. It is breath taking. Love every inch of it☺

Inna D. said...

Мои дорогие читатели, большое спасибо вам за ваши теплые комментарии, я очень ценю ваше внимание! К сожалению, в последнее время я очень занята и делаю очень мало работ, спасибо, что вы продолжаете следить за моим блогом и не покидаете меня :)

Dear readers! Thank you very much for your comments, I really appreciate your kindness! Unfortunately, I’ve been very busy lately and created very few new works. Thanks for keeping following my blog and not abandoning me:)

Karuna said...

Inna you put so much hardwork and love in all you do. Am sure your client was excited with this piece. In fact i too liked the red birds! its a fabulous piece :)

Inna D. said...

Thank you very much, Karuna!

✿ n0ra ✿ said...

SO much in LOVE with it!

Angel said...

wow ! Gorgeous and FABULOUS .
the pink flowers are cute .
thanks for sharing the tutorial with us.

Inna D. said...

✿ n0ra ✿, angelin, thanks a lot!

GreenEarth said...

Fabulous! You are truly the GURU of quilling!!

светлана2 said...

Инна, работа замечательная, нежная.Спасибо за МК. Очень интересно Вы делаете серединки. Возьму на заметку. Я восхищаюсь Вашими работами!

Inna D. said...

GreenEarth, thank you very much!

Светлана, спасибо огромное!

ZÉ ROBERTO said...

Hi Inna!
I loved their work, are very creative and very original.
Visit my blog.
Greetings from Brazil.
Roberto

Таня -тп- said...

Инна! Какая чудесная работа! Спасибо большое за то, что Вы делитесь своими идеями и секретами мастерства. Веточки - это замечательная находка!

Inna D. said...

Таня, спасибо большое!

Inna D. said...

Thanks, Roberto!

Azul Cielo Taller de Artesanía said...

Nice work. I just make myself a follower of your blog. Congratulations on your creations. I've loved the birds in red.

María Jesús

Precioso trabajo. Acabo de hacerme seguidora de tu blog. Felicidades por tus creaciones. Me han encantado los pajaros en color rojo.

María Jesús

L"As Créations said...

Hello Inna,
how are you?
I come to say hello and tell you that I had just opened a new website:
www.lascreations.over-blog.com
currently there are no quilling but I reassure you, there will, I can not abandon this technique so wonderful!
Besides, I think this Japanese tree is a marvel, bravo!
I kiss you and goodbye

Inna D. said...

@María Jesús
Thank you very much! I love your quilling.

@L"As Creations
Thanks a lot! Your new website is very beautiful.

Divya Deepak said...

I absolutely love ur work & you inspire me so I feel u deserve this award.Please click on this link to receive it.

http://divya-art-room.blogspot.com

Love & Hugs
Divya

D@Na said...

Hi inna!
I like very much your creations .

Unknown said...

Wow this is just beautiful. Love it. TFS.
Hugs,
Melissa D
mkds312@hotmail.com
sleeplesswonder.blogspot.com

Teddie Seeley said...

This is absolutely beautiful. The bumblebee is a nice added touch.
Teddie

seri said...

wow,,it's beautiful. the flower look alive.

Niveditha said...

Its lovely.. too gud.. can you pls explain how did u do the branches and birds..

Avni said...

This is fabulous! I am speechless! SO glad to see your work:)
Avni

Inna D. said...

Thanks everyone very much!

@Niveditha,
I've explained it briefly in the post.

acupoftea123 said...

I love this!!! So beautiful!

Darcy Keener said...

This is so beautiful! I am very inspired! Blessings to you!

Inna D. said...

Thank you, Darcy!

Anonymous said...

Wow, this is gorgeous!

SaawrichaKapus said...

This is beautiful, and I am inspired to make a Cherry blossom. will put it up soon on my blog.
S

Anonymous said...

could not take my eyes off it!stunning

Mrs. Skojec said...

This was so helpful with our project! Thank you so much! I linked this page on my blog so everyone can know about your site!

Anonymous said...

awesome work.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely wonderful piece of art.I have been following your website and this one just amazed me.I am just a beginner.I made frames learnt from your tutorial so sweet of you to teach all these tutorials thanks so much.

Aranya creations said...

Your work is very neat and perfectly flawless. Truely amazing. I Love your work and am inspired by it.

Aranya creations said...

Your work is very neat and perfectly flawless. Truely amazing. I Love your work and am inspired by it.